NAPHA Assistance for Drug Testing at Regional Shows
Regional show committees may elect to use NAPHA assistance for drug test horses at their
shows. They may still use state testing or setup their own. The benefits are:
• Easy to do
• Lower cost – $100 for all NSAIDS or $175 for full panel of drug tests
• Uniform testing and certified results
• Quantitative retests as needed at no additional cost
• Storage of backup samples at no additional cost
• Assistance interpreting the results
The Procedure for Testing using NAPHA
1. Contact Tina Mewhinney by email or phone two months prior to the show. She will
have the UC-Davis lab ship collection tubes and instructions to the show steward or
2. The show committee will hire a veterinarian to draw 4 tubes from each horse tested and
ship them to the UC Davis laboratory as instructed. The vet will not have to know what
analyses to ask for because the lab will know exactly what to do.
3. The show secretary will pay NAPHA for the number of horses tested at the show.
4. If there is a test that is above the allowed limit (therapeutic value), the laboratory will
immediately do a quantitative analysis at no additional charge.
5. The laboratory will store at least one vial of blood for contested results.
6. NAPHA will receive and pay the invoice from UC-Davis.
7. The laboratory manager will sent the results to Tina Mewhinney and she will contact the
show steward with the information.
8. If action is needed the show steward will contact the owner of the horse.
Revised Drug Rule- 10% of horses at the show will be tested up to a maximum of five horses
Tina Mewhinney – Mewhinney@mindspring.com, 214.995.9379